Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cinque Terre

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Cinque Terre, or 'Five Lands', has somehow maintained its historic atmosphere while catering to floods of tourists. We are staying in Vernazza, which so far I think is the nicest and most picturesque. This is the region in Italy where pesto was invented (along with some really good wine). We had an amazing dinner at the base of a castle/fortress at the highest point in the town. The day was spent hiking between towns. The longest stretch was 90 minutes of extremely steep hills. Most of it was right along the coast. For the intrepid hikers (not me), there are lots of longer, more difficult hikes that go higher and inland. We have seen all but one of the towns--that one is tomorrow. My feet and legs are begging me to stop the madness, so I think I will explore a little less tomorrow.

The waves crashing against the rocks provided a peaceful soundtrack for our day, and the occasional breeze gave relief from the heat. In the springtime, the hike would not have seemed strenuous, but in this heat, it was rather difficult.

It's really fun to have internet cafes everywhere to stay connected to the real world. We're staying in a rented room, not a hotel (there aren't any real hotels in Vernazza--just a collection of individuals who rent rooms and apartments), so there isn't wireless internet here. I think the hostels in Munich and London have free internet access, but who knows. Our Rome hotel advertised internet in the rooms but didn't have it. Anyway, it's fun to read your comments and emails!!!

No comments: