Saturday, May 2, 2009

Perspective

Personally, when we're feeling exasperated, we like to think in terms of "the last time"--as in, there will be a last time for everything. When will be the last time I give her a bottle, or the last time I put her to bed in her crib, or the last time I can actually cradle my son in my lap, or the last time he will let me hold his hand in public?  It's amazing how quickly that puts things in perspective.  One minute we're thinking we'll have to shoot ourselves if we have to dress her up in a princess costume again, and the next we could cry because soon enough we'll be shopping for prom dresses.

” 

-Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile, in I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids.  


It's a great way to think of things, when I get caught up in the repetitiveness of wake up, feed, change, play, nap, wake up, feed...  There will be a day when Elijah doesn't wear cute bibs or pajamas with feet.  There will be a day when I don't change him anymore, which will also mean there will be a day when we don't share giggles while he's laying on the changing table.  There will be a day when he won't give me huge, slobbery kisses, and I will miss it terribly.  There will certainly be a day when I can't pick him up anymore, and a day when he will be taller than me. 

Live in the present, and enjoy the moment for what it is.  

1 comment:

Dori said...

Great quote! I can see how being a parent can get quite repetitive, but it's also true that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, huh . . . That seems like a good way to approach things when the daily grind starts to get to you.