I was putting books back on the shelf, and I made the mistake of counting how many parenting books I've read in recent months....twelve. Most of these have to do with various parenting philosophies. The problem I've encountered is that nearly every book not only says it's the best way to parent an infant (of course), but has some very sharp criticism for all of the other books out there. Some of them actually name the other authors, and say that this or that is going to scar your child for life, make them unhealthy, make them not trust you, allow them to run your life, and on and on. There's attachment parenting, child-led feeding, demand feeding, parent-directed feeding, Ferberizing, the Baby Whisperer, Babywise, Happiest Baby on the Block, and on and on and on! Prior to becoming a parent myself, I had no idea about this huge debate going on (each with its own set of devotees, bloggers, endorsements, critics, etc.), and I'm glad. It's all too much for my brain to handle.
I need to stop reading these books! But it's sort of addictive because, in truth, I really don't know what I'm doing. All of this parenting stuff is pretty new to me, and I'm just learning as I go like everyone else. Anyway, whenever the library books come due I'm returning them and not getting them again. Gotta save my sanity. :)
3 comments:
I never read one parenting book. I think the best advice is that you love your child and show them the love of Jesus.
Agreed! I think any time I'm surrounded by too many voices telling me what I should be doing, I need to step back and take a deep breath. :)
amen, those books can help or drive you crazy. i can't imagine 12! yes, take them back.
Post a Comment