As of 12am today, Chicago (Cook County) has the highest sales tax of any major American city: 10.25%. Somehow I missed the news that this was happening and heard about it on the 10:00 news last night. Good thing I don't need to make any more major baby-gear purchases! I would have been tempted to run to Meijer in the middle of the night.
So now it's a toss-up: spend a little extra gas to make major purchases in one of the surrounding counties? Or save the gas money and pay the higher tax? Too much mental math for this time of the morning.
Speaking of baby gear, we are slowly but surely getting everything finished. We're installing the car seat tomorrow night; we got the replacement part for our new dresser which I'm finishing tonight (the top wood piece had a deep scratch in it); I have a few more loads of baby laundry, and that's about it. This weekend we're going to thoroughly clean the house, or so we hope!
3 comments:
That's crazy! the sales tax thing, that is. hey! i had completely forgotten you had a blog until today when i was going through old family email on a mission to clean out that folder. you are quite prolific! after clicking on our "little bros" links though, it's clear they no longer blog on theirs...now you can add mine to your page. your "big sis" has gotten into the act. congrats on being "prepared" for baby - you even did the laundry already. wow! you're on top of it.
Thanks! Blogging is a fun way to record all of the random thoughts running through my head. I'm hoping the guys will get back into it because it's an easy way to stay in touch. (Though Facebook has also served that purpose.)
The baby-related to-do list is endless, but at least we have the important stuff done! The rest can wait if needed.
Yowza, only a couple weeks until your new baby is here! Are you excited to meet the new little Medel? It must be so cool to finally meet your new baby for the first time. Hope you're feeling well!
That just stinks about Chicago's increased sales tax. :( Talk about depressing! Ugh. But how refreshing that you have most of the baby things you need already.
Post a Comment