Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Never a dull moment, take 4
Usually when I hear sirens near my office, it's no big deal--I think we're near a fire station. But when I start to hear helicopters hovering overhead and the sheer number of sirens keeps increasing, I start to wonder what's going on. Today there was a subway train that derailed just blocks from my office, then a fire. There were hundreds of people who had to be pulled from an underground tunnel. Fortunately, I ride an entirely different kind of train. And apparently I was one of the lucky few who were able to get out of the area after the accident. The whole thing is pretty scary--they had the multi-colored triage tarps on the ground, with soot-covered passengers grouped by their injuries. It sort of makes me feel a little better about the city's ability to respond to a major catastrophe, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment